This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

after giving some thought to this question when choosing taped examples for my book, i decided upon the royal ballet's SWANLAKE w/ makarova & dowell, and recently out now on DVD and the kirov's LA BAYADERE w/ komleva, terekhova & abdiev. my reasons are given in the chapters on these ballets/tapes in my book, BALLET 101.

still other balletalerters may have strong feelings for other choices. so watch this space. and good luck,

rg

I can't compare them to what rg suggested, but I know there is a version of La Bayadère by Nureyev with Guérin, Platel and Hilaire (all very good dancers) and the Paris Opera Ballet (which I like), and a version of Swan Lake by Bart With Scherzer and Matz and the Berlin Opera Ballet.

fyi: if you are looking buy and play your tape/dvd in the US, you might need to check to see that you are set up to play whatever item you purchase. for ex. i don't think the paris BAYADERE is available in ntsc tape or dvd, tho' i could be mistaken. i know the bart SWAN LAKE w/ berlin is available here, tho it is hardly what one might call 'traditional' or in much of a direct line from the ballet's russian history regarding petipa/ivanov/gorsky's choreography. it does however include odette's mime which the royal ballet one does not.

there might be a way to go back to an exchange about this 'problem' of dvd's in the euro region(s) for PAL systems.

the short of it is, probably not, unless you ask about being able to play other regions, most dvd players here play our region, that is no. 1, only.

best to stick to ntsc/region 1 disks unless you know something special about your player.

the royal ballet SWAN LAKE recently released on dvd is definitely for region 1/ntsc, so you'd be able to play it w/no trouble.

I asked a friend who collects DVDs (not ballet) from other regions, and she said that multi-region DVD players are easily available and not too expensive — the highest price she's ever heard of has been $250 US. There are a number of Web sites that sell them, and if you live in a big city or one with a lot of immigrants from "other region" countries, it should be easy to find one there (that is, not in the chain stores or mainstream electronics stores but in small shops in ethnic enclaves). My friend lives in San Francisco and got hers in Chinatown. For what it's worth, she likes the Sampo brand, and recommends that if you are able to shop around locally that you bring a DVD from another region with you to try it out.

I just recently purchased a London Festival Ballet video--the ballet was staged by Makarova after Petipa. I haven't watched numerous versions of S.L., so don't know how it compares to others that were mentioned, but I really liked it nonetheless. The lead ballerina playing Odette/Odile is amazing!