This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

This one is mainly for the Australian members of the boards because i'm not sure if this is showing anywhere else. Has anybody seen the performance of 'Wild Zebra'?

I haven't yet seen it so i'm not sure if this post actually belongs here. Delete if you wish.

If you have, what was it like? And would you reccommend it to others? It seems really good!!! :)

Thumpinhippo posted a review of Wild Zebra that appeared in an Australian newspaper last month. We don't allow entire articles to be reprinted here as that would violate the newspaper's copyright, so I've deleted it. But here are some excerpts:

Once upon a time, a Chinese choreographer had a dream as he travelled by train in his homeland. Inexplicably, it was a dream about wild zebras and it inspired him to make a ballet populated by African animals for a group of dancers from Shanghai, with narration by an Australian for English-speaking audiences.

Working in a style that mixes the classical ballet China inherited from its old political cousin, the Soviet Union, and its own brand of folk dance works, Zhang Jigang also hints at relationships with the circus, cabaret and American marching bands in his full-length dance drama, Wild Zebra.

Unfortunately the choreography captures some of the least appealing aspects of epic Soviet ballets, including long mime sequences and melodramatic action in mini-climaxes so numerous that the opening night audience, responding with polite applause to much lowering and raising of the curtain, didn't seem to realise Wild Zebra was over until the cast stepped forward to take a bow. At which point, they clapped enthusiastically.

What we do to avoid copyright problems is to find the review online at the newspaper's website, then make a link to it, so that we're not republishing the article, just leading the reader to the copyright holder's site. That's fine. You can quote bits of it, to give folks an idea of what it says, but if you're just inviting people to read the article, that's "fair use" - it's almost like free advertising for the paper!:(