Michele Wiles

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 08:56 PM

I have been interested in her since I saw her when I was at Kirov. I feel that she is a beautiful dancer, but she still needs to come into her own. Her athleticism is wonderful, but her artistry needs a bit maturity. As for her wearing Gaynor's, I am not sure about that. I know that Gillian Murphy does, but I don't recal any dancer at the kirov wearing them. Did she recenty switch? That would strike me as very interesting. There is one thing I would like to say, Universal Ballet Academy (formally Kirov) is a very good school. But saying it is the best is like saying every other prepro school is not up to their caliber. Harid, SAB Washington school of ballet, SFB... all sould be metioned as "the best" IMO :D

Rachel

#17 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 10:50 PM

I love Michele (see above :rolleyes: ), but her ability to balance (which is pretty amazing) is not what makes her special. What makes her special are her musicality, her graciousness, the beauty of her movement quality, her radiance and that charming spunk she brings to the stage.

I do not agree that she is the next Darci Kistler. (If only the original Darci Kistler, undone by injuries, had fulfilled the promise of her youth! :D) She is the first and only Michele Wiles, and that's darned special. :D

#18 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 04:24 PM

She is the first and only Michele Wiles, and that's darned special

Couldn't have said it better myself! :D

Rachel

#19 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:49 AM

I just checked the casting at abt and michele is cast in her first Giselle in July! i cant wait to see her in this role (although i probably wont be able to make the performance) :)

#20 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:58 AM

I just checked the casting at abt and michele is cast in her first Giselle in July! i cant wait to see her in this role (although i probably wont be able to make the performance) :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MAGNIFICENT! What a delight to see her very early promise fulfilled. There'll be a lot of 'first viewings' for me this spring/summer. As I was in Russia, I missed her earlier 'Raymonda' and 'Swan Lake'...and I do have hope that her 'home town' (area) of Washington, DC will see her Odette/Odile in February.

#21 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 07:50 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to temper your enthusiasm here - from the casting on the brochure it looks like she's cast as Myrtha in Giselle - which is as it should be. She is an absolutely wonderful dancer,but she is young and needs to be brought along at a reasonable pace. She has had a lot of "firsts" lately in big, ballerina roles - Hagar in Pillar of Fire, T&V,Swan Lake, Raymonda. She will be a wonderful Myrtha but I think the title role in Giselle would be a stretch for her at this point. She has technique to spare, now she needs time to develop her craft & her artistry. I'm glad ABT is giving it to her!

#22 Dansuer85

Dansuer85

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:57 AM

This is still exciting news. I personally, at this point, would rather see her as Myrtha, I think she would make a fabulous Mrytha and Im sure one day, she will make a fabulous Giselle. Myrtha to me, is a character that most people do not fully develop, they do the steps wonderfully, but the evilness, the coldness is not always there, so hopefully she will be able to produce that feeling into the house, to make it a great performance!!! :)

#23 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:13 AM

I personally, at this point, would rather see her as Myrtha, I think she would make a fabulous Mrytha and Im sure one day, she will make a fabulous Giselle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too would like to see her as myrtha. Giselle, however nice it would be to see a young Wiles, will give us something to look forward to. Hopefully in the near future. I like the fact that ABT is letting her develop into a ballerina, not forcing her. Her future is bright and i can't wait to see the dancer she will surely become.

#24 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:28 AM

I personally, at this point, would rather see her as Myrtha, I think she would make a fabulous Mrytha and Im sure one day, she will make a fabulous Giselle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too would like to see her as myrtha. Giselle, however nice it would be to see a young Wiles, will give us something to look forward to. Hopefully in the near future. I like the fact that ABT is letting her develop into a ballerina, not forcing her. Her future is bright and i can't wait to see the dancer she will surely become.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too. She's much more a powerful Myrtha type (good, too, for Raymonda, Gamzatti & Odile). I'm surprised that she hasn't danced Myrtha yet.

#25 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 10:03 AM

She may have danced Myrtha already, I'm not sure. But then, maybe not since ABT hasn't done Giselle in NY the last couple of seasons. Their casting of Myrtha looks very strong. In addition to Wiles - Murphy, Part, Abrera, and Carmen Corella are all scheduled to dance Myrtha- all wonderfull, powerful dancers. There's a lot to look forward to from ABT this spring!

#26 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 10:12 AM

In addition to Wiles  - Murphy, Part, Abrera, and Carmen Corella are all scheduled to dance Myrtha- all wonderfull, powerful dancers. There's a lot to look forward to from ABT this spring!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's amazing to me that Meunier has not been cast as Myrtha. Unfortunately, TPTB will probably cast her at Bathilde, as they did several years ago when they did the ballet in Boston and Cleveland. A waste, frankly. Myrtha is the perfect role for Meunier

Re: Wiles -- I don't see her as Giselle. Maybe in some years she will change my mind, but not right now. More of a Raymonda...

#27 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 09:36 PM

I hate to sound cranky, but I find Michele a very promising but somewhat undeveloped dancer. For now, she has many obvious things going for her (good looks, figure, great turner) but IMO hasnt developed the panache and "perfume" that separates the great ballerinas from the "promising" ballerinas. For one her arm movements havent developed the natural, soft quality that I look for in ballerinas. I hope she doesnt become a Paloma Herrera -- that is, a ballerina who seems perpetually stuck in the "Wow! Great turns!" stage. That doesnt look like it's going to happen but I really hope it doesnt as she's certainly so promising. She reminds me of Darcey Bussell a bit.
Another potential problem for Michele is how TALL she is. When she danced T&V and she had to hook arms with the corps she towered over all the girls so much I thought she'd topple over them. It'll take a very particular danseur to partner someone as tall as Michele.
I could see her as a great Kitri, maybe Raymonda, Aurora. Giselle not so much. She doesnt have the inherent fragility I think the very best Giselles need.

#28 Dansuer85

Dansuer85

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 01:00 PM

I actually must dissagree with you, though I have not seen her perform a whole lot, when I saw her Swan Lake, yes her turns amazed me, but the thing I noticed most, was her softness, regealness and they way she presented her her feet and legs so well. Quite a few ballerina's, wont name any names, do not have that quality, they forget about the small things. *Example of what im talking about is when Michelle would go up to do a pique arabesque, her foot was so precise and elegant and then such a strong gorgeous, but soft, arabesque* :happy:

I will add, that I do thing she has alot of growing to do as an artisit and her being tall could be a problem, but if Hallberg stays around, all will be well.

#29 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:08 AM

her arm movements havent developed the natural, soft quality that I look for in ballerinas. I hope she doesnt become a Paloma Herrera -- that is, a ballerina who seems perpetually stuck in the "Wow! Great turns!" stage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll have to respectfully disagree. Wiles was trained in Vaganova Technique at Kirov Academy (now UBA), where there is equal development of strong upper and lower body....unlike Herrera's schooling. One of Wiles' hallmarks is the very strong back & elegant Russian-style placement of arms and hands.

#30 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:48 AM

I was reading the Universal Ballet Website and there was just a new announcement. In the News section, it reports that as of end of June Michele Wiles has been promoted to principal dancer with ABT! I have not seen any report from ABT, and i know the rumor policy here, but does UBA qualify as a reliable source? And has this been announced anywhere else?
UBA News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):