This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Michele Wiles

Fraildove

Hi all!

Was wanting to know if anyone has a comment about the up and comming Michele Wiles? I find her classicism so distinct that she is ushering in a new age of tecnique, or perhaps should i say re-ushering. Anyway, her pure, strong technique being her strong point can come across as cold, but I think her glorious. Anyone think she will be principal at ABT soon?

Rachel

According to a featured article on her in Dance Magazine, she is well on her way to promotion. Before that, however, Kevin Mckenzie seems to want her to mature a bit more artistically and develope more of a stage presence and dramatic ability.

Rachel

Part of what I enjoy about Michele's dancing -- which is very special -- is that she lets you forget about technique. She exudes so much joy in just dancing, such musicality. I am disappointed that she doesn't have more roles this spring at the Met. I hope she gets to do (and I get to see her in) many unbilled roles.

There is much to be said for the patient wisdom of bringing a dancer along slowly and steadily. Part of the reason why she may not be getting more roles, though, may be due to lack of a mature guy who is tall enough to partner her. She looks fabulous with David Hallberg, but he has not developed to her level . . . yet.

I agree, I am a huge fan of Michele's. She was given lots of opportunities last season at the

Met and I saw her really grow as a performer from the beginning to the end of the season. She is absolutly beautiful and I am sure that a promotion will be in the near future!!!

Guest PointeShoeRibbons

Michelle Wiles was on the cover of dance magazine a few months ago and they had a very nice article about her. I think it may have been the march issue or something around there.

PointeShoeRibbons

Originally posted by Rachel

According to a featured article on her in Dance Magazine, she is well on her way to promotion. Before that, however, Kevin Mckenzie seems to want her to mature a bit more artistically and develope more of a stage presence and dramatic ability.

With the wealth and clarity of dramatic details in her Gamzatti -- an unusually complex charactrerization -- and a presence that ricochets against the furthest walls of the Met, I think she has fulfilled the critera. ::drumming fingers, tapping foot::

In the current issue of W (with Sarah Jessica Parker on the cover), there is a one page item with brief quotes from Michele Wiles, Xiomara Reyes, Alexandra Ansanelli, and Janie Taylor, with a picture of all four of them.

Michelle Wiles is the fiercest dancer...EVER. She can hit those balances and hold them for an extra 16 counts. She's from the Kirov Ballet school in Washington D.C., the best ballet school in the entire world. They are the best because they won the Outstanding school award at the 2003 Youth American Grand Prix. They really teach their students how to balance it in their beautiful Gaynor Mindon pointe shoes. BRAVO MICHELLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Doesn't everyone agree she is the next Darci Kistler???

I have been interested in her since I saw her when I was at Kirov. I feel that she is a beautiful dancer, but she still needs to come into her own. Her athleticism is wonderful, but her artistry needs a bit maturity. As for her wearing Gaynor's, I am not sure about that. I know that Gillian Murphy does, but I don't recal any dancer at the kirov wearing them. Did she recenty switch? That would strike me as very interesting. There is one thing I would like to say, Universal Ballet Academy (formally Kirov) is a very good school. But saying it is the best is like saying every other prepro school is not up to their caliber. Harid, SAB Washington school of ballet, SFB... all sould be metioned as "the best" IMO :D

Rachel

I love Michele (see above :rolleyes: ), but her ability to balance (which is pretty amazing) is not what makes her special. What makes her special are her musicality, her graciousness, the beauty of her movement quality, her radiance and that charming spunk she brings to the stage.

I do not agree that she is the next Darci Kistler. (If only the original Darci Kistler, undone by injuries, had fulfilled the promise of her youth! :D) She is the first and only Michele Wiles, and that's darned special. :D

I just checked the casting at abt and michele is cast in her first Giselle in July! i cant wait to see her in this role (although i probably wont be able to make the performance) :)

MAGNIFICENT! What a delight to see her very early promise fulfilled. There'll be a lot of 'first viewings' for me this spring/summer. As I was in Russia, I missed her earlier 'Raymonda' and 'Swan Lake'...and I do have hope that her 'home town' (area) of Washington, DC will see her Odette/Odile in February.

I just checked the casting at abt and michele is cast in her first Giselle in July! i cant wait to see her in this role (although i probably wont be able to make the performance) :)

I have to temper your enthusiasm here - from the casting on the brochure it looks like she's cast as Myrtha in Giselle - which is as it should be. She is an absolutely wonderful dancer,but she is young and needs to be brought along at a reasonable pace. She has had a lot of "firsts" lately in big, ballerina roles - Hagar in Pillar of Fire, T&V,Swan Lake, Raymonda. She will be a wonderful Myrtha but I think the title role in Giselle would be a stretch for her at this point. She has technique to spare, now she needs time to develop her craft & her artistry. I'm glad ABT is giving it to her!

This is still exciting news. I personally, at this point, would rather see her as Myrtha, I think she would make a fabulous Mrytha and Im sure one day, she will make a fabulous Giselle. Myrtha to me, is a character that most people do not fully develop, they do the steps wonderfully, but the evilness, the coldness is not always there, so hopefully she will be able to produce that feeling into the house, to make it a great performance!!! :)

I personally, at this point, would rather see her as Myrtha, I think she would make a fabulous Mrytha and Im sure one day, she will make a fabulous Giselle.

I too would like to see her as myrtha. Giselle, however nice it would be to see a young Wiles, will give us something to look forward to. Hopefully in the near future. I like the fact that ABT is letting her develop into a ballerina, not forcing her. Her future is bright and i can't wait to see the dancer she will surely become.

I personally, at this point, would rather see her as Myrtha, I think she would make a fabulous Mrytha and Im sure one day, she will make a fabulous Giselle.

I too would like to see her as myrtha. Giselle, however nice it would be to see a young Wiles, will give us something to look forward to. Hopefully in the near future. I like the fact that ABT is letting her develop into a ballerina, not forcing her. Her future is bright and i can't wait to see the dancer she will surely become.

Me too. She's much more a powerful Myrtha type (good, too, for Raymonda, Gamzatti & Odile). I'm surprised that she hasn't danced Myrtha yet.

She may have danced Myrtha already, I'm not sure. But then, maybe not since ABT hasn't done Giselle in NY the last couple of seasons. Their casting of Myrtha looks very strong. In addition to Wiles - Murphy, Part, Abrera, and Carmen Corella are all scheduled to dance Myrtha- all wonderfull, powerful dancers. There's a lot to look forward to from ABT this spring!