Recommendations, please

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Cristina

Cristina

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 05:07 PM

Over the years we have managed to collect a few video tapes and dvd's of excellent performances of classic ballets. At this point we would like to add a few things to our collection. Any recommendations for a good recording of Giselle, Coppelia, Swan Lake?

Thank you in advance.

#2 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 06:39 PM

at the risk of sounding self-referential etc. my book, BALLET 101 has a number of tapes described for the ballets you name here. (GISELLE & SWAN LAKE even have separate chapters given over to the two specific performances, which i deemed the time, useful and recommended.)
since the shorter videography in the back of the back of the book was finalized, a number of other performances have come out, including:
COPPELIA by the Royal Ballet, for instance, w/ Acosta and Benjamin(?)
GISELLE w/ Ferri and Murra
SWAN LAKE w/ a cast of dancers from the Berlin Opera House
as well as w/ the Birmingham Royal Ballet, in D.Bintley production.
readers of this site more familiar w/these versions might chime, but feel free to ask me any questions regarding anything said in my book on this subject.
or just wait for all the free advice likely to pour forth in any case.
good luck.

#3 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 12:52 AM

I suppose the Swan Lake by the Berlin Opera House is the one by Patrice Bart and it's with Steffi Scherzer and Oliver Matz if it helps.

#4 RachelsDream

RachelsDream

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 08:57 PM

I am very interested in acquiring The Royal Ballet's Coppelia with Acosta and Benjamin - would you know of where I could find it?

TheRedShoe

#5 Karen

Karen

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 02:54 AM

OK, video help. I know other countires, ie: UK has different video configurations, we have VHS and they have PAL? But the DVD's are formatted differently as well?
I purchased 2 DVD's a few weeks ago in London and they will not work on my DVD player:( Boo Hiss!
Any ideas?:confused:
Karen

#6 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 03:26 AM

i haven't seen the RB coppelia recording, but i would say that the australian ballet's recording of this ballet, with lisa pavane and greg horsman in the main roles, is excellent and very watchable.

(p.s. i have just recovered from gasping, as i realised who 'rg' is. :) :rolleyes: )

karen: australia and the UK have PAL VHS, while in america you have NTSC VHS. (i.e. BOTH are VHS systems.) these days, newer or 'better' models of VTRs (or VCRs) will often play both types of VHS tapes.

about DVDs: the numbering system was explained to me, but i've forgotten it. i'm sure someone else here will help out...

#7 Tracey

Tracey

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 05:18 AM

OK - DVD help! The world has been split into DVD regions - US is region 1, UK and Europe is region 2, the Far East is region 3 etc etc. Over here in the UK we can get what we call 'multi-region' DVD players, which basically have a chip inside so we can watch DVDs from all over the world. Alternatively, you can buy a DVD player and get it 'chipped' (I'm not sure how legal chipping is - you can also do this with PlayStations). The main reason that this has been done is so that the big movie-makers can control who gets what film and when. I have noticed that some ballet DVDs have not been 'regioned' so you can play them anywhere (see www.dancebooks.com).

So, if you don't have a multi-region DVD player make sure you check what region the DVD is issued in before you buy it :) .

Hope that helps,

Tracey

#8 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 05:41 AM

tracey, i seem to recall something about a 0 (DVD) code, which is for multiple areas...or am i imagining that?

#9 Tracey

Tracey

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 06:12 AM

Not that I know of, grace. The only other one is 'uncoded' which means it can be played anywhere on any player - it may be that someone has decided to call it region 0 but it's not an 'official' coding. Here's a link to list of the regions.

http://www.amazon.co...3286176-4522233

There is also a region 7 which has been reserved (not in use yet - ready for space stations maybe ;) ), and region 8 for special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.).

Tracey

#10 Karen

Karen

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 06:16 AM

Now this DVD stuff is way confusing. When I inserted the DVD into my player it said on the screen "Not NTSC", what ever that means?
I looked on the back cover of my DVD's from here and it has alot of intials & other jargon I don't understand. On mine it does list NTSC.
On the UK ones one says Disc format "DVD-9", and the DVD "ALL". I will also try them in my car and computer to see if they work there.:confused:

#11 Tracey

Tracey

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 06:23 AM

Karen, sorry you've stumped me there. I thought they'd done away with all this NTSC and PAL nonsense with DVDs. For an era where 'globalisation' is the corporate buzzword, they make a mess of these things sometimes :confused:

Tracey

#12 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 06:26 AM

certain 'chipped' DVD players need to be 'told' via the remote control wand about out-of-usual-region dvds, meaning a certain number code needs to be input after turning the player off & then they are SUPPOSED to play the 'foreign' discs. but each case is likely different. so, unless you know you've got a multi-machine it's important to acquire only those dvd's of the region of the player, the US is region 1/NTSC. if your player is not multi-system prepared or 'chipped,' it's best to steer clear of any discs not marked 1/ntsc.
as for the royal ballet's COPPELIA w/ acosta & benjamin, i think that's only in region2/PAL at the moment. but i could be wrong.

#13 Karen

Karen

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 06:40 AM

thanks rg, I think you are right!
Thanks for the help!
Karen

#14 Cristina

Cristina

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, and for the insight on format differences. This is not something we have encountered, but as I delve into this more deeply, I am happy to know there are issues of which to be aware.
:)

#15 Guest_meira67_*

Guest_meira67_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 01 June 2003 - 02:00 AM

Like Cristina, I have also been thinking that I would buy some dvd versions of the classical ballets. Could anyone recommend a good version of Nutcracker?

Also, does anyone know any classical ballet dvd which includes good extras? I think I'd be happy to watch anything which includes both the ballet itself and a good "making of" documentary.

Thank you,
Minna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):