This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 06:31 PM

regarding vcr's here and abroad. it seems a rule of thumb that MOST european systems are so-called 'multi-system' decks and can play a variety of videos, partly i suppose because there are a number of formats at work throughout europe.
however, MOST u.s. vhs vcr's are simply NTSC ones, w/ no options for playing anything else. so if you had a multi-system deck you'd most likely already know all about PAL NTSC etc.
as the original post(s) here indicate no awareness of such variations on the theme of a vcr. i'm afraid it's fair to say that you are not equipped to play PAL etc. tapes.
dvd's are a slightly different problem but many u.s. dvd players only play our zone - 1 - discs and not other zones, like zone 2 for much of western europe.
readers of this site w/ far more expertise than i have will be able to explain the nuts & bolts of these different systems, but the bottom line is likely that unless you invest in new multi-system equipment there's no point in acquiring any tapes or discs that are not specifically listed as NTSC.

#17 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 12:57 AM

Originally posted by rg
but the bottom line is likely that unless you invest in new multi-system equipment there's no point in acquiring any tapes or discs that are not specifically listed as NTSC.

That sums it up pretty well, I guess.
Far from being an expert either, I can add this. There is no problem as long as you stay in your own country, and that goes for TV, VHS-VCR and DVD-player. The cheapest machines can usually only play the color standard which is in use in your country. For a list check out:

In Europe the situation is now slightly more open, in the sense that most new TVs and VCR's play PAL as well as a PAL-version of NTSC. So yes, Colwill you can "play" NTSC videos on your system, but you still cannot "record" NTSC. For that you need a complete, expensive multi-standard machine. Anything can be converted from one standard to the other, but just remember that conversion from NTSC to PAL means a more serious loss of picture quality than the other way around.

Some background reading (hope it doesn't refrain anyone from beginning a video or dvd collection, though :)): http://www.ee.surrey...orldTV/why.html

#18 balletstar811

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 06:30 AM

I asked my mom and dad just to make sure on our DVD player and VCR and my mom said when she was researching DVD players to buy a new one, none of them played any other formats. She said those that do cost like $2500. So basically, as we have concluded, my movie choice remains limited.

#19 cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 09:23 AM

You may want to have a look at the POB Website, www.opera-de-paris.fr They have an online store with the DVD you want. You can play it if your player is able to read DVDs of 2,3,4, 5, 6 areas. Does your player read only zone 1 DVDs ?
Good luck with your search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):