18 replies to this topic

#16 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 06:31 PM

regarding vcr's here and abroad. it seems a rule of thumb that MOST european systems are so-called 'multi-system' decks and can play a variety of videos, partly i suppose because there are a number of formats at work throughout europe.
however, MOST u.s. vhs vcr's are simply NTSC ones, w/ no options for playing anything else. so if you had a multi-system deck you'd most likely already know all about PAL NTSC etc.
as the original post(s) here indicate no awareness of such variations on the theme of a vcr. i'm afraid it's fair to say that you are not equipped to play PAL etc. tapes.
dvd's are a slightly different problem but many u.s. dvd players only play our zone - 1 - discs and not other zones, like zone 2 for much of western europe.
readers of this site w/ far more expertise than i have will be able to explain the nuts & bolts of these different systems, but the bottom line is likely that unless you invest in new multi-system equipment there's no point in acquiring any tapes or discs that are not specifically listed as NTSC.

#17 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 12:57 AM

Originally posted by rg
but the bottom line is likely that unless you invest in new multi-system equipment there's no point in acquiring any tapes or discs that are not specifically listed as NTSC.

That sums it up pretty well, I guess.
Far from being an expert either, I can add this. There is no problem as long as you stay in your own country, and that goes for TV, VHS-VCR and DVD-player. The cheapest machines can usually only play the color standard which is in use in your country. For a list check out:
http://avconvert.com..._standards.html

In Europe the situation is now slightly more open, in the sense that most new TVs and VCR's play PAL as well as a PAL-version of NTSC. So yes, Colwill you can "play" NTSC videos on your system, but you still cannot "record" NTSC. For that you need a complete, expensive multi-standard machine. Anything can be converted from one standard to the other, but just remember that conversion from NTSC to PAL means a more serious loss of picture quality than the other way around.

Some background reading (hope it doesn't refrain anyone from beginning a video or dvd collection, though :)): http://www.ee.surrey...orldTV/why.html

#18 balletstar811

balletstar811

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 06:30 AM

I asked my mom and dad just to make sure on our DVD player and VCR and my mom said when she was researching DVD players to buy a new one, none of them played any other formats. She said those that do cost like $2500. So basically, as we have concluded, my movie choice remains limited.

#19 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 09:23 AM

You may want to have a look at the POB Website, www.opera-de-paris.fr They have an online store with the DVD you want. You can play it if your player is able to read DVDs of 2,3,4, 5, 6 areas. Does your player read only zone 1 DVDs ?
Good luck with your search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):