This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Stuttgart Ballet Cancels NY Performances

I'm a bit late for this discussion but how many seats are there in the City Center?

I saw their R&J production in San Diego at the Civic Theatre which holds just under 3000 seats -- let's just say that there was a lot of paper in the audience. They were throwing free and severly discounted tickets right and left. I wonder if they are already so far in the hole that they couldn't risk losing more in NY?

Originally posted by piccolo

I'm a bit late for this discussion but how many seats are there in the City Center?

I saw their R&J production in San Diego at the Civic Theatre which holds just under 3000 seats -- let's just say that there was a lot of paper in the audience. They were throwing free and severly discounted tickets right and left.

I find this a bit strange in that a close friend was unable to get tickets for either performance. There were not even comps available. The company considered the response in San Diego to be very very good both as regards ticket sales and audience response.

Regards...

CDM, your friend's experience may have resulted from a box office freeze -- when a house knows the season is in trouble, they may freeze sales for a few days before a cancellation announcement is made. All reports have been that the season was not selling -- including the company's statement.

As quoted from the earlier translation of the articla from the Stuttgarter Zeitung:

"Until now, the company’s tour, which was due to last seven weeks, was very successful. The performances of John Cranks “Romeo and Juliet” attracted a lot of people and some performances were even sold out."

I am not familiar with the practice of frezing the box office that you refer to but that could easily be attributed to my ignorance of that sort of thing. But that would not explain the lack of any comps (or at least I would not think so).

Are there other public statements that contradict the above? Also, it should be noted that the turnout in St Louis was quite good for both evenings.

Regards...CDM

The turnout may have been wonderful everywhere, but there was not the same demand for tickets in New York.

See the article posted on the first page of this thread, from the Stuttgart press:

From the Stuttgarter Zeitung:

http://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/s...tail.php/402513

Only about 25% of the tickets were sold in advance of the performances in New York. Reid Anderson believes this has more to do with the current situation in the US (war, SARS scare) than with the nature of the programming. He is very sorry to not take his dancers but cannot afford to lose so much money. It is mentioned that Opera and Orchestra ticket sales are also down at the moment.

I think we've exhausted the topic, and am closing the thread.