This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

GYPSY - Shubert Theatre, Saturday, April 5, 2003 - 8pm

Sam Mendes, winner of Tony and Olivier awards, who directed the still running on broadway, magnificent production of "Cabaret", has done a winning job with this one.

I've seen the movie, the Tyne Daley revival, and the Bette Midler for TV version of GYPSY and this is by far my favorite version.

Direction, sets, lights, costumes and performances. John Dossett is an excellent Herbie. The strippers are the best. Tessie Tura - Heather Lee, Electra - Julie Halston, and especially Kate Buddeke as Mazeppa are hysterical. Heather Tepe as Baby June and Kate Reinders as Dainty June (watching her pull a cigarette out from under her pink dress in Grantzinger's office made me fall out of my seat). David Burtka is a charming Tulsa and Tammy Blanchard (young Judy Garland in the mini series "Me and My Shadows") is a great Louise. It is even better when a real dancer plays Louise, but I admire Tammy's performance.

If you have to choose between "42nd Street" or "Gypsy", pick "Gypsy". This old musical works and boasts Jerome Robbins choreography.

Sorry about the tardiness of my reply. I've been out of town.

Bernadette Peters, whom I've loved in other broadway shows: "Sunday in the Park With George", "Song and Dance",

"Into The Woods" and "Annie Get Your Gun" seemed completely miscast. In my opinion, she is too much of a waif, and was not commanding.

She seemed tired. :)