Revival time. B)

#17 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 04:37 PM

I will be seeing the Mariinsky's Swan Lake when it comes to the Kennedy Center this January, so I should be able to give a report then.

#18 artist

artist

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:08 AM

This may not be the style you're asking, but I see the Kirov display this differently than some others.

Their position and placement of the attitude leg. One could see the difference between Vaganova and Cecchetti during the Rose Adagio in Sleeping Beauty when balancing in attitude.

In the Kirov's, the foot is higher than the knee, but the knee doesn't drop

Juxtaposed to a Cecchetti trained dancer - though not necessarily La Scala? - the hip is square and the knee is lifted and higher than the foot.

Also, Kirov's 'a la seconde' arm is strong, held, and almost by the shoulder - not level though. Other styles have it lower.

#19 artist

artist

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:24 AM

When they run, their head is elongated but sort of looking down while their arms rise a little above a la seconde and the torso is elongated.

How about their expression? I think only the Kirov can look that serious at times, for they've received such discipline.

A performance by the Kirov just seems so futuristic, so bold and demanding, so BAM! compared to other style's softness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):