This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Have you seen the Sylvie Guillem's version of Giselle?

Guest Giselle83

I was just wondering how many of you have seen the Sylvie Guillem's version of Giselle. I saw it already 1998 when she created it and was first danced by the Finnish National Ballet. IF any of you have seen it (It hasnt been performed in many places) I'd like to hear some opinions!!!

Guillem's Giselle, which was based closely, as I understand it, on her Finnish version, was danced in New York by the La Scala ballet a couple of years ago. I saw it, and have to say I didn't think it was any improvement on the traditional versions. For me, anyway, I thought it was surprisingly undramatic--the character of Albrecht was very undeveloped, and the mad scene didn't register. I didn't like the scenery or costumes, either.

I've seen also the Finnish National Ballet's version.

I think the first act was not as good as it could have been. There was a needless amount of scenery moving around, and the costumes did not show the dancers' lines. I did like the second act, though, and the dancers were great.

Minna Tervamäki looked like she weighed absolutely nothing, and Anastasia Dunets' contemptuous Myrtha smile stole half of the second act.

Kare Länsivuori danced Albrecht, and I liked the acting. The production had less dramatics and mime than the other one I've seen, and the gestures were accordingly more subdued, yet communicated Albrecht's feelings clearly. I'm not sure I'd describe the role of Albrecht as light, unless you are referring to the fact that in this production Albrecht is dramatically not very indipendent character - he reacts instead of acting.

I have later heard the scenery thing was there because the production was originally meant for tv. Does anybody know where?

Päivi