17 replies to this topic

#16 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 06:52 PM

I know about de Bouteillier (he taught in Milwaukee, WI and can definitely make a dancer - one of his students is with Joffrey, I believe). I'm wondering if you mean Petter Jacobsen - who ran the Royal Swedish Ballet for a brief while. He is a ballet turned modern dancer (he was with Sadlers Wells in the 80s) and then went to Tharp, etc.

Please keep us informed.

#17 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 04:14 AM

Well, "La libre Belgique" wrote "Peter Jacobson, le directeur des Ballets de Suède", but I guess if they called Michaël Denard "Michel Denart", they probably can't spell "Petter Jacobsen" either... :grinning:

It seems that the official results will be known monday.

By the way, in my previous list of French companies, there are two that I didn't mention: the Lyon Opera Ballet and the Ballets de Monte-Carlo. Both hire ballet-trained dancers, but their repertories have gone farther and farther from ballet. For example, the repertory of the next season of the Lyon Opera Balle includes works by William Forsythe, Russell Maliphant, Christian Rizzo, Angelin Preljocaj, Philippe Découflé, Trisha Brown, John Jasperse, and Sarah Michelson. For some reason I never understood, some French critics call that kind of company "neoclassical" sometimes...
The Ballets de Monte-Carlo used to have a ballet repertory, including a lot of Ballets Russes works and more than ten Balanchine works, but its director Jean-Christophe Maillot has programmed more and more of his own works, plus a handful of crossover works by Childs, Kylian, Forsythe, Hoche... On their web site, the only Balanchine works still listed as "in the repertory" are 4 Ts and "Stravinsky Violin Concerto", and all the Ballets Russes works have disappeared (while they still were performed during the first seasons of Maillot's tenure). I'm afraid that, if Flamand is chosen in Marseille, even if he's supposed to stage some classical works as well, the same kind of situation would be likely to occur (and, as far as I know, his own works are farther from ballet than Maillot's).

#18 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 01:51 AM

http://www.lalibre.b...7&art_id=176742

That article (in French) in "La libre Belgique" says the conseil d'administration (board) of the Ballet de Marseille has chosen Frédéric Flamand, but the choice still would have too be confirmed by the minister of Culture. However, it adds that there has been no official announcement about it, neither by Flamand, nor by the Ballet de Marseille, nor by the ministery of Culture.

The second half of the article deals with the changes that would be caused by Flamand's departure for his company Charleroi/ Danses, which is by far the most subsidized dance company in Wallonie (the French-speaking part of Belgium) with 3 million euros of subsidies (500000 of which are "re-distributed to other companies"): it seems likely that if Flamand leaves, the company will probably disappear.

I do hope that there still is some hope for another decision (and doesn't it seem weird that, out of 64 candidates, the administration of the Ballet de Marseille couldn't find more ballet-oriented potential directors ? I remember that when Pietragalla was chosen, among the candidates were Jean-Paul Gravier, who had done an excellent job with the Ballet du Rhin, and also Ib Andersen- compare the shapes of the Ballet de Marseille and that of Arizona now... :( ) because now it sounds like a lose/ lose situation: loss of classical repertory for Marseille (if the officials really want a big modern dance company, why on earth can't they fund it without killing the ballet ?) and loss of its main company for Wallonie (which already had lost the Ballet de Wallonie a few years ago). :unsure:

And the near silence of the French press about all that really confirms that it really doesn't give a damn about ballet... How saddening! :(

By the way, Marc, have you seen some works by Flamand ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):