This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

a ballerina

Guest ducklingdance

Guest ducklingdance

is royal ballet and royal birmmingham ballet the same? if it is, has anyone heard of Miss Ravenna Tucker? she was the principal ballerina in Royal birmmingham ballet.

The Birmingham Royal Ballet used to be known as the Touring Section of the Royal Ballet, but now has its own Royal Charter, and an independent life in Birmingham. Ravenna Tucker was a principal with the company, and has been working in both dance and theater in the Australasian area, which takes in Singapore.

Guest ducklingdance

she's currently teaching in singapore lasalle-sia college of the arts. i was once her student. she's a very good teacher. i wanted to find out about her past works but i can't find any.

Ravenna Tucker was a principal of the Royal Ballet in London for several years before she moved to the Birmingham company.

She joined the Royal Ballet in 1979, and danced all the big classical leads. She was a lovely dancer, with a gentle, modest stage presence, but I remember her especially in a rather untypical role, as one of the soloists in the Shades scene from Bayadere - she did the fast, cheerful solo and used to get cheers every night.

Guest ducklingdance

lasalle-sia once had a performance. she was doing a ballet on pointe and it was a very cute and interesting piece. they combine with the drama people. she got alot of cheers and applause too. she's a gd patient and undersatnding teacher. i would love to be in her class again if i can....

The Birmingham Royal Ballet used to be based in London at Sadlers Wells, and was known as the Sadlers Wells Royal Ballet - it was, and still is - a sister company of the Royal Ballet. While it was in London, it was seen as the "Second" company, but the move to Birmingham (possibly 15 years ago?) has put that right.

Ravennas Tucker was originally with the Royal Ballet, where she was a great favourite with the audience, and rightly so. She came across as a very intelligent dancer, with a strong technique, but not flshy. When the Sadlers Wells company moved to Birmingham, she sitched to go with them as an experienced principal.

She is bound to be on some of the classic Royal Ballet videos from the late 80's/early 90's (Fille mal Gardée, Romeo and Juliet, etc.), where she was the same generation as Fiona Chadwick, Karen Paisey, Genesia Rosato, Angela Cox (became Angela DeMello), and Sharon McGorian (became Elizabeth McGorian. Males of the same era were Michael Batchelor (much missed), David Peden, Guy Niblett, Stephen Sheriff, Julian Hosking, Philip Broomhead and the young Jonathan Cope.

Do you know I'd quite forgotten Alessandra Ferri? Amazing the tricks the mind can play ...... And now, all I can think of is "Okay, you can lift me now" spoken to one of a chain of partners.

Have just come back from a jazz dance class, taught by one of the same generation of RB dancers, Simon Horrill - an extremely dependable first peasant, superbly half-witted urchin in Manon (I can still see him stroking the fur trim of the cloaks), and delightfully sticky in A Wedding Bouquet after finishing all the cake crumbs on the guests' plates.

ravenna was a lovely sweet dancer, occasionally reminiscent of fonteyn. i remember her being partnered by bruce sansom, among others. i saw her (possibly both of them) in fille, notably, but also in other works. you are lucky to have her as a teacher, and possibly as a role model - learn and remember all you can! :(

Guest ducklingdance

i hope to learn all that i could from her. she's definately a great teacher. she's patient too. does anyone knows how old she is? she always hide her age. she looks like she's in her 30s. she's always so cheerful and bubbly like a young girl.

i don't know her age, but looking at the list of her RBS contemporaries, i would guess that she must be in her early40s. i'm glad to hear that she is a happy person, as perhaps this indicates she is happy doing her teaching, now. she was a lovely performer - really radiant.