This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Grand pas classique

I would like some information on the Grand Pas Classique: I know that the music is from Auber, but little else In particular; I wud like to know name of choregrapher, where it was premiered, by whom, and if there are filmed or video versions commercially available.

Thanks

Silvy

There are two Paris Opera Ballet videos by V.I.E.W. called "7 ballets" and "6 ballet". I forget which one has Grand Pas Classique on it, but it is one of those two. The ballerina is Sylvie Guillem, and the choreography has lots of high developes and balances for her to show off her super-flexability! The ballet is choreographed by Victor Gsovsky.

While poking around the NYC Performing Arts Library recently, I found a video from VAI of Great Moments in Russian Ballet (or something like that). For one of these compilation videos, the quality of dancing is amazingly high (glimpses of Maximova in Giselle and Nadezhda Pavlova in Bayadere are both particularly revelatory), but none higher than the early-Seventies video of Komleva and Soloviev doing a somewhat different version of Grand Pas Classique than the Paris Opera one. For me this is some kind of ne plus ultra of bravura technique -- I've never seen anything better (it's filled with jaw-dropping, throwaway technical and stylistidc gems), and doubt I ever shall.

Originally posted by Manhattnik

the quality of dancing is amazingly high (glimpses of Maximova in Giselle and Nadezhda Pavlova in Bayadere are both particularly revelatory), but none higher than the early-Seventies video of Komleva and Soloviev doing a somewhat different version of Grand Pas Classique than the Paris Opera one. For me this is some kind of ne plus ultra of bravura technique -- I've never seen anything better (it's filled with jaw-dropping, throwaway technical and stylistidc gems), and doubt I ever shall.

I'd second that. One of my all-time favorite pieces of dance on film.

"Grand Pas Classique" also was filmed at the Paris Opera about four or five years ago during a homage to Yvette Chauviré, with Agnès Letestu and José Martinez. Unfortunately, as far as I know it's not available commercially- but perhaps some libraries might have it?