• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 11:00 AM

I would like some information on the Grand Pas Classique: I know that the music is from Auber, but little else In particular; I wud like to know name of choregrapher, where it was premiered, by whom, and if there are filmed or video versions commercially available.

Thanks

Silvy

#2 Paquita

Paquita

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 12:14 PM

There are two Paris Opera Ballet videos by V.I.E.W. called "7 ballets" and "6 ballet". I forget which one has Grand Pas Classique on it, but it is one of those two. The ballerina is Sylvie Guillem, and the choreography has lots of high developes and balances for her to show off her super-flexability! The ballet is choreographed by Victor Gsovsky.

#3 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 12:24 PM

thank you Paquita - I will see if I can gel hold of some of these videos.

:(

silvy

#4 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 01:39 PM

It was first given at the Théâtre des Champs Elysées on the 12th november 1949 with Yvette Chauviré and Wladimir Skouratoff.

#5 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 01:46 PM

While poking around the NYC Performing Arts Library recently, I found a video from VAI of Great Moments in Russian Ballet (or something like that). For one of these compilation videos, the quality of dancing is amazingly high (glimpses of Maximova in Giselle and Nadezhda Pavlova in Bayadere are both particularly revelatory), but none higher than the early-Seventies video of Komleva and Soloviev doing a somewhat different version of Grand Pas Classique than the Paris Opera one. For me this is some kind of ne plus ultra of bravura technique -- I've never seen anything better (it's filled with jaw-dropping, throwaway technical and stylistidc gems), and doubt I ever shall.

#6 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Manhattnik
the quality of dancing is amazingly high (glimpses of Maximova in Giselle and Nadezhda Pavlova in Bayadere are both particularly revelatory), but none higher than the early-Seventies video of Komleva and Soloviev doing a somewhat different version of Grand Pas Classique than the Paris Opera one. For me this is some kind of ne plus ultra of bravura technique -- I've never seen anything better (it's filled with jaw-dropping, throwaway technical and stylistidc gems), and doubt I ever shall.

I'd second that. One of my all-time favorite pieces of dance on film.

#7 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 04:08 PM

I'll third that. And drink a toast;)

#8 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 05:25 AM

I am glad that my post created such a response - I only wish I cud see that Russian version. is it commercially available on film or video?

silvy

#9 Mary J

Mary J

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 06:57 AM

Amazon appears to have it for $39.99 on VHS (with a warning that it might not be available) - the title is Russian Ballet, The Glorious Tradition, Vol. 3.

#10 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 07:02 AM

thank you Mary J!!!

:)

silvy

#11 Mary J

Mary J

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 08:40 AM

My pleasure, silvy! I am an Amazon addict, and shop there a lot. And, I think, if you use the banner from Amazon on this web site, good things happen for Ballet Alert!:)

#12 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 04:16 AM

"Grand Pas Classique" also was filmed at the Paris Opera about four or five years ago during a homage to Yvette Chauviré, with Agnès Letestu and José Martinez. Unfortunately, as far as I know it's not available commercially- but perhaps some libraries might have it?

#13 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 07:53 AM

thank you Estelle -I guess that danced by Agnes Letestu that ballet shud be a joy to watch!!!

silvy

#14 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,214 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 12:14 PM

Yuan Yuan Tan had a big success in it at the most recent SFB gala. The high point of the evening for this observer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):