This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Niels Björn Larsen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 02:17 PM

With great sadness I noted that Niels Björn Larsen has passed away. A true gentleman, a Danish ballet legend.
Many years ago I spent a few enjoyable hours talking to him on a flight Copenhagen-London. What we talked about the whole time? Ballet, of course.

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 02:30 PM

Yes, Pamela. I put up a brief note in the Royal Danish Ballet forum. There's a link to Mary Clarke's obituary of Larsen there (and on Links, too, the day it appeared, I think) as well.

I had the opportunity to interview Larsen several times, as well as watch him stage "Far From Denmark" (completely the "watch me and do as I do" method). I remember getting a chill the first time I talked to him. We were standing in the old rehearsal room, the one that Bournonville had used, and I realized that this man had been there when Fokine worked at that opera house! So he was very much a link with the past. He had been ill for several years, though, having suffered a stroke in the mid-1990s.

I'm going to move this thread over to the RDB forum so that we don't have two conversations going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):