From Canfield to Stowell - How do you reshape a ballet company?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 08:04 AM

Succinctly put -- maybe we should have a No Dogs Rep! award. :D (I know exactly what you mean, Paul. One looks at the upcoming season with a, That's not bad; well, we haven't seen that one for awhile; oh, no, not that again!)

#17 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 03:24 PM

the no dogs award will not be presented every year.....

#18 Ed McPherson

Ed McPherson

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 02:06 AM

Any recent news on OBT? I remember reading in the San Francisco Cronicle that two from SFB where headed that way. I do wonder about money too! It's amazing to watch the company develop reminds me of the stock market in the late 90's. I last read that Stowell was off to Switerland to set a piece by Mark Morris, does anyone know how that went or is going? San Francisco has been so lucky to have Morris at Zellerbacher Hall, I wonder if he will take a jaunt up to Portland in the near future? How big is the metropolitan portland area?

#19 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 11:40 AM

hey Ed,

WHO exactly did you hear is going from SFB to Portland/ Would that be Kester Cotton and Kathleen Martuza? I haven't heard where they're going, but they've been FINE dancers confined to the corps, andthey're definitely laving and going somewhere else.....

SHe in particular danced a demisoloist in the finale of Diamonds SO beautifully it was one of hte minor glories of hte season, so musical, every impulse was right......

ANd he's been accurate, in the spirit, strong, handsome, always in everything.... hate to see him go, hope he gets the opportunities he wants....

#20 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 05:27 PM

I can tell you that Portland is home to Kester Cotton.

#21 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 06:42 PM

Just a reminder before someone comes on and helpfully supplies the names of people they've heard might be changing companies -- please stick to PUBLISHED REPORTS OR PRESS RELEASES ONLY. Naming people who are switching companies may be premature and cause contractual difficulties for the parties involved :) Thanks!

#22 Watermill

Watermill

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 07:59 PM

Good point, Alexandra, but not to worry: it was announced in the Chronicle a while ago that Kester Cotton , a Portland native, and Kathleen Martuza were heading up I5 to OBT. Very exciting!

Mark Morris & Company just received a standing ovation here in Portland. He is not my favorite ballet choreographer, but in the world of PR visibility, his working with OBT could be a nice boost.

Ed, Portland itself is approx 240,000 with 1.2 million in the metropolitan area.

#23 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Watermill
Good point, Alexandra, but not to worry: it was  announced in the Chronicle  a while ago that Kester Cotton , a Portland native, and Kathleen Martuza were heading up I5 to OBT

Watermill, the only article in the Chronicle about this that I can remember stated merely that they were leaving SFB for a smaller company. The dancers declined to state which one.

#24 Ed McPherson

Ed McPherson

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 10:16 AM

In regards to the Chronice publication of two folks leaving.

I can't remember the exact date it was published, it looks like it may have been mentioned on two seperate occasions...

When I saw the mention of two dancers heading to OBT it was in a section that is published about once a week in Datebook and consists of blurbs on local atists, groups, and news on the arts.

hope this helps

#25 Watermill

Watermill

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 09:39 PM

Yes, thanks, Ed: that is where I saw it.
Ari, Maybe I can dig it up.
I totally agree with the policy of not blabbing about prospective moves between companies, and have held my own bad tongue regarding several company changes until they were published.

I'm guessing that we'll first glimpse the new company members at the open air rehearsals in the Park Blocks in August.

#26 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 11:41 AM

Nice to hear that they will not discard Canfields "OBT Exposed" idea.

The park blocks are so pretty and the people really get to know the company that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):