This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Not Strictly Rubens" by the Royal Ballet of Flanders, Belgi

just as an aside, i know nothing of this man as a choreographer (except the amusing reviews i've read above...) but i believe this is the same Marc Bogaerts, who was extremely well-received as a guest teacher in sydney and melbourne, a few years ago, with a system (his own, i believe) for teaching ballet dancers to move in more 'contemporary' ways - (no i don't mean destroying ballet - i mean improving their ballet, and their employability, with an approach to teaching contemporary class which was much admired by other teachers.) i wasn't there - i can only report what i heard from reliable sources. :)

Grace, it is definitely the same Marc Bogaerts who worked among others at the Australian Conservatory of Ballet, teaching his system, which is allegedly based on a combination of Vaganova and Limon. Bogaerts is said to be convinced that modern dance technique dangerously stagnated since the disappearance of Limon and Graham, and therefore devised his own to save it all. Shame it didn't save him.

Thanks, Beckster, that's about the "Romeo and Juliet" cast we had last December. What did you think of Sunal as Juliet?

Anybody else who saw them?

thanks marc.

i'd be inclined to agree with him, re the absence from view of technical development in contemporary dance, since the phase/era/stage of graham & limon. i wish i had seen this method of his, because its underlying principles make sense to me. thanks for confirming that.

I'm not very good at reviews I'm afraid. I always want to write something intelligent and insightful and end up saying something like "I didn't like Romeo's hair much".

Anyway. Juliet. I liked her, but she hasn't stuck in my mind the way the three men have. She was so tiny, and quite convincing in the part. And she danced very well, there was nothing I can put my finger on, but she didn't make me go "wow". I can't actually remember anything about her that stood out for me. I guess I noticed the choreography more than the dancer - is that weird?

I will say that one thing I liked about this version of the ballet was that Juliet wakes up after Romeo takes the poison but before he dies - it makes it more poignant when they realise what's happened.

Beckster, your description of Aysem Sunal is completely what I see... and not see in her. She's a good dancer, tiny indeed : must be heavenly for her partners who need to lift her ;) but....she never makes me go 'Wow', to use your words ! She can be completely blank. Your interpretation that you noticed the choreography more than the dancer, isn't a surprise to me !

Jeroen Hofmans and Alain Honorez, both come from the company's school. Hofmans must be known by NYCB-fans, he's been a soloist there for a couple of years.