This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Grupo Corpo

Guest pirrouette

Guest pirrouette

Hi all!

I just saw the most amazing performance ever - Grupo Corpo at UMass - Amherst. I know they are not a ballet company, but the performance was so amazing that I thought they deserved a mention! Does anyone have any info on them? I believe they are Brazilian, but the program was seriously lacking in info.

Pirrouette

Guest pirrouette

Why were they so interesting? They were all so amazingly strong! They were incredibly musical, and had incredible endurance. Their energry was frenetic and unflagging. It was so refreshing to see a group of performers who danced like there was no tomorrow. That's why I love(d) them!

Grupo Corpo is indeed Brazilian, very hot, from Sao Paolo, as I recall. Very energetic, very colorfully costumed, with some native Brazilian martial arts flavor and samba rhythms mixed in with a ballet derived melting pot company style. There was a feature on the company in the New York Times Sunday Arts and Leisure section within the last year, when they performed at the Brooklyn Academy of Music