This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tape for ballet newcomers

There is a wonderful VCR tape titled "A Window on the World of Classical Ballet" that provides an introduction to ballet, from classroom to stage. It gives a discription of steps during a ballet class. It introduces you to dancers, musicians, stage hands, choreographers, artistic directors....just about every facet of ballet. The tape is available at Amazon (access through top right hand corner of this page) but may be short on supply. For those of you new to ballet I highly recommend this tape as your introduction to the art. The ballet company involved is Australian Ballet.

Giannina

Many thanks Giannina! This tape sounds as though it is exactly what parents who are not schooled in ballet could use - now I won't have to keep asking the same questions over and over again: "What's it called when you are up en pointe and one leg is up but bent facing back....?"

Great find!

Well, I bought the tape through Amazon but via an alternate source advertised on their site...for a little less money. It is, just as you described, a wonderful introduction for the unlearned and my daughter enjoyed it as well for its backstage, millinery, lighting design, rehearsal/coaching, and excerpts. :)

Now I will sit my husband down and we'll commit those steps to memory! ;) Seriously, this is an excellent educational tool and it's enjoyable, as well... and you get to see Stanton Welch at a somewhat younger age. :D

Good one, Gianinna!

floss, I have now watched it twice and enjoyed it. Can you tell me about Maina Guilged? I'm embarrassingly ignorant about The Australian Ballet. I did, however, enjoy seeing her interactions with the dancers both while rehearsing and after their performances. They appeared to be a very closely knit company.

Hi BW, just off the top of my head right now I can tell Maina Guilged left the Australian Bllet several years ago. Whilst she was here there was some talk about her interactions with the dancers. I am reluctant to say much about it because I am not completely clear on some issues of the "differences" between the dancers and Ms Guilged. However, I'm sure there is always going to be some divisivness in any work place let alone a Ballet company. As for her artistic input can I get back to you on that because I really supposed to be working :) (my fault, now that I've decided to join in I've become somewhat "addicted";) )

Here I am , back again. Maina Gielgud (sorry about my spelling earlier) was Artistic Director of The Australian Ballet from 1983 to 1996, the board of the AB declined to renew her contract. She was with the Royal Danish Ballet for a short time and then I think she was going to the Boston Ballet but I'm not sure what happened there. While with the Aus Ballet she commissioned about 40 ballets some with Australian content according to the "political" feeling at the time. As well during her time as AD, Stanton Welch and Stephen Baynes were appointed as choreographers. Her production of The Sleeping Beauty was well received (I believe, unfortunately I did not see it) and was taken to London. Her production of Graeme Murphy's Nutcracker was a highlight in my opinion. If this thread has gone off at a tangent from the original video discussion I'm sorry and won't be offended if it needs to be moved:)

floss, I don't think it matters that this has taken off on a tangent. Here is my own researdh on Maina Gielgud According to this information, she will be residing with us here in the USA at Houston Ballet!

Ms. Gielgud has certainly had an interesting ballet life - Bejart, the Royal Danish Ballet to Sadler Wells and more! :)